- Governing Privacy Principles
- How we collect your personal information
- How we use and disclose your personal information
- Our retention and security policies for your personal information
- How to access, correct or update your personal information
- How to contact us
- Internet privacy
Governing Privacy Principles
We are bound by both federal and provincial private sector privacy legislation in the countries in which we do business. This Policy explains how we handle personal information in accordance with these laws, including the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA"), the Personal Information Protection Act (Alberta), the Personal Information Protection Act (British Columbia) and An act respecting the protection of personal information in the private sector (Québec). Based on these standards, we adhere to privacy principles that offer our customers the security they need and expect.
Who this Policy Concerns
This policy applies to our customers, prospective customers, agents, dealers, contractors, suppliers, service providers and applicants for employment. It does not apply to our acts and practices directly related to records about our current or former employees and their employment relationship with us.
The expression "personal information" is used in this Policy to refer to information or opinion, in any form and whether true or not about an individual whose identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained from the information.
This information may include, but is not limited to, your name and contact details, date of birth, place of work, credit history, credit card or bank account numbers and other financial details. It may also include your purchase history with us and any customer satisfaction information.
Personal information does not include, and this policy does not cover, the collection of statistical data in an aggregate form that cannot be attributed to an identifiable individual.
How we may collect your personal information
We collect a broad range of personal information. The types of personal information that we collect from you will depend on how you interact with us. For example, your personal information will be collected when you purchase products, fill in an application form, call us, or send us a letter. Some personal information about you may be collected when you visit this website, in the form of either cookies or by our Internet Service Providers. This information is discussed below in our “Cookies and Internet Privacy” section.
Silver Chef and its representatives may collect personal information in a number of circumstances in connection with our business and we may collect or receive personal information through a number of other sources, including:
- when you correspond with us, including by using our website’s contact form, by e-mail, phone or any form of social media;
- when you request an order, a quote, make a purchase or return or exchange any of our products or services;
- when you apply for any of our services, including when you submit a credit application, whether personally or on behalf of a corporation;
- when we access publicly available registries and databases to learn more about existing and potential customers;
- from credit reporting agencies and current and past creditors in connection with evaluating a credit application you have submitted; and
- from third party financial institutions and similar references provided in connection with a credit evaluation.
Primary Purposes of the Collection, Use and Disclosure of your Information
The personal information that you provide to us when accessing our website, and in other interactions between us, is used to provide you with better service for the supply of our products and services to you. The primary purposes for such collection, use and disclosure are to allow us to:
- offer and provide products and services to meet your needs;
- establish and maintain communications with you;
- verify the personal information you provide in your applications;
- review your applications for credit, in order to assess your creditworthiness and determine whether to extend credit;
- obtain from and exchange credit information with credit reporting agencies, credit references and financial and lending institutions;
- check or verify your past dealings or accounts with us;
- determine the pricing of any services we may offer;
- monitor, detect and prevent fraud or other illegal activities;
- analyse business results and compile statistics;
- conduct market research;
- meet our regulatory or industry reporting requirements;
- enforce accounts and collect any amounts owed to us directly or through third party services; and
- act as required or authorized by law.
Potential Secondary Uses
We may also use some of your personal information for the purpose of marketing or promotion of our products and services. Where we intend to use, or allow our dealers to use, your personal information for the purposes of marketing or promoting our services, we will provide the opportunity to opt out of the use of your information for these purposes. You may also ask us not to use your information in this way at any time.
Where required, your express, written consent will be obtained before or at the time of collecting personal information and we will provide you with the purposes for the collection, use or disclosure of the personal information at the time of seeking your consent. Once we obtain your consent to collect and use your information for those purposes, Silver Chef has your implied consent to continue to collect or receive any additional information as necessary to fulfil the same purposes. If a new use is identified or needed, we will obtain your express consent for this new purpose.
You may choose not to provide some or all of the personal information we request in providing a product or service, but you understand that in such a case, we may not be able to provide our products or services to you, or may not be able to provide the level of service we usually provide.
We will not sell, rent or trade your personal information without your consent.
In some circumstances, we may use and/or disclose personal information without your consent, including where:
- we have reasonable grounds to believe the information could be useful when investigating a contravention of a federal, provincial or foreign law and the information is used for that investigation;
- where there are reasonable grounds to believe that use or disclosure is necessary to prevent a threat to life or health;
- the information is publicly available, as defined in applicable privacy laws;
- the use is clearly in the affected individual's interest, and consent is not available in a timely way; or
- the use or disclosure is otherwise required or permitted under applicable federal or provincial law.
Retention, security and destruction of your personal information
We will retain your personal information in our customer records as long as your file is active, and for such periods of time as may be required to effectuate our Primary Purposes, as described above, and in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations.
When your personal information is no longer required for these reasons, we will make all reasonable efforts to ensure all electronic and hard copies of such information are destroyed and deleted from our systems. However, where your information has been provided to third parties in the context of a credit assessment or credit reporting, these third parties, such as financial institutions and credit reporting agencies, may retain the information according to their own retention policies.
- storing files in filing cabinets when not in use and restricting access to work areas where files may be in use or stored;
- shredding all paper files, letters and any other hard copy documents containing personal information prior to their disposal;
- restricting access to Silver Chef computers, accounts and electronic databases or other electronic formats that may contain personal information through password protection and internal security policies; and
- implementing technical security measures such as firewall technology, anti-malware screening and data encryption technology
While Silver Chef employs advanced data encryption technology when interfacing with its customers, suppliers and other partners, users should be aware that there is a residual risk in transmitting any data electronically. This risk is inherent in all Internet dealings.
Storage in Other Countries
Your personal information may be stored or processed by our affiliates or third-party providers, in other countries, including Australia, the USA and in South East Asia. Any personal information which is stored or processed outside of Canada may be subject to the legal requirements of the foreign country in which it is stored or processed.
How to access, correct or update your information
We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that all information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date. Please contact us if your details change or if you believe the information we have about you is not accurate or complete.
We will, on request, provide you with reasonable opportunity to access your personal information in our records, and have it corrected or updated. We will make the information available within a 30 -day time frame, or provide written notice of extension, where additional time is required to fulfil the request.
Please note that your right to access your personal information is limited by the laws of Canada and its provinces. Exceptions to your access rights include where:
- providing access would reasonably be expected to pose a threat to the life or security of another individual;
- the information is protected by solicitor-client privilege or, in civil law, by the professional secrecy of lawyers and notaries; or
- providing access may prejudice an investigation of possible contraventions of the laws of Canada or a province.
Cookies and Internet privacy
You do not need to enable cookies to visit our website; however, if you refuse to accept cookies, some of the site features may not work.
When you use our website, our Internet Service Provider (ISP) may also make a record of your visit and log your server address, your domain name, the date, time and duration of your visit, the pages and documents you accessed, the previous site you had accessed ( namely, the referring web address) and the type of browser you are using. This information is collected for statistical purposes only, and Silver Chef will not make any attempt to identify users according to their browsing activity.
In the unlikely event of an investigation, a law enforcement agency or other government agency may exercise its legal authority to inspect our ISP's logs. It is also possible that your ISP is logging your activity while you visit our site. This is obviously beyond the control of Silver Chef.
Except where you volunteer personal or business information we will not procure information about you via any alternative means while you visit our site.
The Silver Chef website contains links to websites of third party providers of goods and services. Such websites should contain their own privacy statements and Silver Chef is not responsible for the privacy practices or content of any websites linked to this website.
How to contact us
If you have an access request or if you have any questions or complaints about this Policy, or the manner in which your personal information has been collected or handled by us, please visit the Contact Us page on this website or contact us by mail or telephone:
Attention: Chief Privacy OfficerSilver Chef Rentals Inc.Privacy Office3rd Floor, 948 Homer StreetVancouver, BCV6B 2W7Telephone: 1-866-311-3805Email address: Privacy.Canada@silverchef.ca